Alps touchpad driver for X-input (synaptics alternative)

Simon Thum simon.thum at gmx.de
Thu Oct 22 04:51:59 PDT 2009

Yotam Medini wrote:
> + On current Ubuntu, it is not easy to configure. The GSynapyics tool
>   warns (and requires(?)) settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>   while current configuration happens under /usr/share/hal/fdi/...
I can't say that about ubuntu, but I can place stuff in /etc/hal/fdi/...
so once it's done you can easily move it to new releases.

> + Using the touchpad, the cursor moves 'too quickly' and difficult to
>   place into an exact pixel location.
You may want to look here:
http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/PointerAcceleration
In particular, "Scenarios" and the synaptics stuff at the bottom. Works
for server 1.6 and above.

> + On that slow and low memory machine, the driver seems to use too much
>   resources.  That was another reason, I wanted to avoid dependencies
>   on 'finger movement speed' and floating point calculations.
Frankly, no matter how small, slim & fast your setup is, a few f*
instructions won't dominate event propagation. Not even on funny
marketing efforts like the Pentium 4.

I think you ran into the issue described at the bottom of mentioned wiki
page: It's not 'unreliable' FP, it's double-applied acceleration.

That said, if you can back the 'seems' using sysprof to be a driver/X
issue, that's another matter.

HTH,

Simon