asciidoc requirement for man pages ?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 15:55:01 PDT 2009

2009/10/22 Frédéric L. W. Meunier <lists2006 at pervalidus.net>:
> After compiling all 7.5 libraries, I noticed that in the man3
> directory there were old man pages. All belonged to libXi
> 1.2.1.
>
> When you compile 1.3 (from tarballs, not git), do you need xmlto
> AND asciidoc to install the man pages ?
>
> I have xmlto, but not asciidoc, and configure returned
>
> checking for xmlto... /usr/local/bin/xmlto
> checking for asciidoc... no
> configure: WARNING: xmlto or asciidoc not found - cannot create man pages without it
>
> "xmlto or asciidoc"
>
> And are all man pages moving to it in the near future, or it's
> just libXi ?

The man pages are generated from asciidoc/xmlto, but the generated
pages should be in the tarball. Unfortunately the Makefile prevents
them from being installed if you don't these tools (even though you
don't need them). The culprit is this commit:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libXi/commit/?id=e43d88541e815aa64108a6c5bc3dae5816c822dc

I had this working correctly at some point. I'll try to fix it up so
that it does the right thing either for people building from git or
from tarballs.

--
Dan