switch xorg.conf from evdev to kbd?

Denis Haskin denis at haskinferguson.net
Sat Oct 24 07:18:09 PDT 2009

Can someone advise how to xorg.conf keyboard device from evdev to the
old 'kbd' (e.g. what's the whole xorg.conf stanza I have to put in)?  I
confess I'm not *completely* sure which version of X I'm on--"Xorg
-version" below says 1.6.0, but that doesn't seem right (this is on
Ubuntu, and yes I've also asked this on the Ubuntu mailing list/forum).

I've had progressively more and more problems with my Dell Studio 15
keyboard; both the repeating-characters bug (which is known as
outstanding) but also now I get extremely frequent dropped keystrokes.

I know it's not the hardware, because I dual-boot to Vista and it
doesn't happen *at all*.

Some googling has led me to think there may be issues with the new evdev
xorg device, so I'd like to try the old 'kbd' configuration and see if
that makes any difference.

Thanks,

dwh

$ Xorg -version
X.Org X Server 1.6.0
Release Date: 2009-2-25
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-23-server i686 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux dwh-laptop 2.6.28-16-generic #55-Ubuntu
SMP Tue Oct 20 19:48:24 UTC 2009 i686
Build Date: 09 April 2009  02:10:02AM
xorg-server 2:1.6.0-0ubuntu14 (buildd at rothera.buildd)

settings or unsubscribe at: