C&T ct65545 problem

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 25 12:55:10 PDT 2009

On 2009/10/25 11:40 (GMT-0700) Yan Seiner composed:

> I have a very, very old laptop - 1995 vintage - that I want to repurpose
> for a net-terminal.  It has a Chips and Technologies 65545 video
> chipset.  This works with X as I've run it in the past with both freeBSD
> and an older version of linux (something with a 2.4 kernel and an old
> version of xfree.)  I decided to upgrade this to a current version to
> get some net tools.  Now I can't get X to recognize the C&T chipset.

> I am using xorg 7.4, with the chips driver.  X fails with:

> (II) Primary Device is: ISA
> (EE) No devices detected

> Unfortunately I don't have pcmcia working either so I can't copy and
> paste quite yet.

> I suspect that the driver cannot auto-probe the ISA bus and it's looking
> for some sort of IRQ or base address.  But how do I go about finding
> this?  I don't recall having to do anything special in the past, but who
> knows....

ISTR reading not so long ago about active Xorg devs running out of working
65545 hardware to test with, and it may be necessary to stick with an older
distro and Xorg version to get it to work, or equip some devs with hardware
matching yours if you can't do the necessary driver dev work yourself. Try
looking through the list's archive if no one else replies with better info.
--
"   A patriot without religion . . . is as great a
paradox, as an honest man without the fear of God. . . .

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/