switch xorg.conf from evdev to kbd?

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Sun Oct 25 17:33:19 PDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 04:22:26PM +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> > I've had progressively more and more problems with my Dell Studio 15
> > keyboard; both the repeating-characters bug (which is known as
> > outstanding) but also now I get extremely frequent dropped keystrokes.
>
> Repeated keystroke bug? Can you post a link to the FDO bug number for
> reference?
>
> I'd imagine repeated keystrokes are related to a manually configured
> system + HAL autoconfiguration.

triple keypresses have so far always been misconfigurations. there's a few
autorepeat bugs with evdev though that I've never been able to track down -
lack of time mostly.

> > Some googling has led me to think there may be issues with the new evdev
> > xorg device, so I'd like to try the old 'kbd' configuration and see if
> > that makes any difference.
>
> /me quickly checks man xorg.conf
>
>   Option "AllowEmptyInput" "boolean"
>          If  enabled,  don't add the standard keyboard and mouse drivers,
>          if there are no input devices in the config  file.   Enabled  by
>          default if AutoAddDevices and AutoEnableDevices is enabled, oth‐
>          erwise disabled.  If AllowEmptyInput is on,  devices  using  the
>          kbd, mouse or vmmouse driver are ignored.
>
>   Option "AutoAddDevices" "boolean"
>          If  this  option is disabled, then no devices will be added from
>          HAL events.  Enabled by default.
>
>   Option "AutoEnableDevices" "boolean"
>          If this option is disabled, then the devices will be added  (and
>          the  DevicePresenceNotify  event  sent),  but  not enabled, thus
>          leaving policy up to the client.  Enabled by default.
>

> So right at the top of your xorg.conf, just put:
>

>   Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
>
> in the flags section and you should be set to define the devices
> manually. I'm sure someone will pipe up if I've not got the whole story.

yeah, you're right. also, an xorg.conf containing simply

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "AutoAddDevices" "off"
EndSection

suffices since then the server creates the default keyboard device anyway
(with the keyboard driver). Alternatively, either copy that section into
your existing config or add the line to the ServerLayout section, that'd
work to.

Cheers,
  Peter