More old hardware weirdness....

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue Oct 27 16:21:56 PDT 2009

I'm trying to resurrect this laptop, and I'm running into all sorts of
issues...

Now that I have X running, but I can't get the keyboard to work in X.
If I configure things the way I always do,I get nothing.  (see below for
xorg.conf snippet.)

/dev/input/event? stuff works AFAICT - I can cat the devices and when I
type junk appears.

No errors in the log files.

To eliminate WM weirdness, I am running
X &
DISPLAY :0 xterm &

Not ideal, but the results are the same if I run a WM.

I get a slew of warnings from xkbcomp:

expected keysym, got XF86Forward: line 45 of inet
expected keysym, got XF86Back: line 46 of inet
expected keysym, got XF86MyComputer: line 47 of inet
expected keysym, got XF86Mail: line 48 of inet
expected keysym, got XF86AudioMedia: line 49 of inet
expected keysym, got XF86PowerOff: line 55 of inet
expected keysym, got XF86Standby: line 56 of inet
expected keysym, got XF86WakeUp: line 57 of inet
expected keysym, got XF86AudioMute: line 89 of inet
expected keysym, got XF86AudioLowerVolume: line 90 of inet
expected keysym, got XF86AudioRaiseVolume: line 91 of inet

But all of them appear to be non-standard key definitions.

and then I get the only indication of something wrong:

Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
Warning: X locale modifiers not supported, using default
Warning: Cannot convert string "nil2" to type FontStruct
Failed to open input method

I've googled the "Failed to open input method" and get absolutely
nothing that could shed any light on this.

Here's my keyboard:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "evdev"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/event0"
EndSection

If I use evdev, I get nothing at all from the keyboard.  If I use the
"keyboard" driver with the evdev device, I get slews of garbage.

Here's dmesg:

root at OpenWrt:/etc/X11# dmesg | grep input
input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as
/devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input0
input: PS/2 Generic Mouse as /devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input1

So the keyboard is definitely a normal keyboard.  It works fine in text
mode.

vt switch doesn't work; zapping does.

--

   o__