Error: Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display "my_machine_name:1.0".

Peng Yu pengyu.ut at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 20:10:00 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 11:04 PM, Alan
Coopersmith<Alan.Coopersmith at sun.com> wrote:
> Peng Yu wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I recently installed gtk+-2.16.6 on my machine from source code. I
>> also installed a few other packages that are required by gtk+, which
>> include libXrandr-1.3.0 (compiled from source code).
>>
>> Then, I get the following error when I run any gui program, for example,
>> gvim.
>> Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "my_machine_name:1.0".
>
> That's a combination of a bug in gtk trying to use the RANDR extension
> before verifying the server supports it, and your X server (not
> libraries) not supporting RANDR.

Would you please let me know if there is an easy way to fix the bug or
where to find the package which has the bug fixed?

I don't understand how X server and RANDR works. But if I can make X
server support RANDR, the problem can also go away. Would you please
let me know how to make X server support RANDR?

Regards,
Peng