xinerama/xrandr

Daniel techknow at internalkernel.com
Mon Sep 14 10:09:38 PDT 2009

On 09/14/2009 09:31 AM, Tippett, Matthew wrote:

> Hi. I'll talk about the generic RANDR and Xinerama situation. I'll
> leave other domain experts fill in any NV specifics.
>
> RANDR currently allows both static and dynamic configuration of
> position and rotation for 'individual' head mode. This doesn't matter
> how many GPUs or heads you have. You don't have the 'unified desktop'
> experience and can't move the windows between heads. If you have a
> randr capable setup and only one head (multiple outputs) per GPU, you
> can have a '2+1' config.
>
> For Xinerama mode, you can statically configure randr modes through
> xorg.conf. The randr extension is turned off when xinerama is enabled.
>
> So it really depends what you want to do. If your intent is to use one
> screen with near static (and immovable content) like a mailer or
> something similar, the non-xinerama mode may do what you need.
>
> Although there has historically been talk of deprecating Xinerama, it
> is currently the only way to configure multiple cards into a single
> desktop. If you checkout the recent phoronix articles, you can see
> that 24 displays are possible. (The video is 4 head with static randr
> without xinerama, but the same as a single head with static randr
> xinerama can achieve the same thing).
>
> Regards... Matthew

That actually helps greatly, it's pretty much what I've been figuring
out through trial and error - but it helps to hear it outright. I've
noticed there seems to be no word on when Xinerama will be deprecated
and what will replace that functionality.

I guess it's something I'll have to keep an eye on...
Thanks again
Daniel