[Xorg Mouse Acceleration is Broken in new Xorg 7.4?] Re: Mouse/keyboard no longer work after apt-get dist-upgrade in testing?

Simon Thum simon.thum at gmx.de
Sun Sep 20 11:26:24 PDT 2009

Justin Piszcz wrote:
> Solution for now as I need a working desktop:
>
> 1. Recover OS from backup before upgrade:
> 2. Pin kde* and xorg* so they are not upgraded anymore.
>
> In the future/if someone from xorg can respond-- is there a fix/way to
> make the semantics such that 'xset m 20/5 1' is the same as it used to be
> in xorg 7.3?
Yes. Just as documented under 'advanced options' in
http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/PointerAcceleration

For hal:
<match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.mouse">
   <merge key="input.x11_options.AccelerationScheme"
type="string">lightweight</merge>
</match>

or the xorg.conf equivalent:

Option "AccelerationScheme" "lightweight"

When the old stuff is in effect, all xset m will be 100% identical.
FWIW, the lauchpad stuff sounds more like HW/hotplug/hal problems.

The "Sensitivity" stuff shouldn't be used, but since you seem to intend
to skip pixels anyway that's a moot point. In general, you may be better
off using a high-res device or somehow increase device resolution (some
mice support that).

HTH,

Simon