examples of using xinput?

Timothy S. Nelson wayland at wayland.id.au
Sun Sep 20 16:56:47 PDT 2009

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009, Peter Hutterer wrote:

> Excerpts from Tom Horsley's message of Sun Sep 20 09:52:17 +1000 2009:
>> OK, I've been trying to understand the "official" new way to configure
>> my trackball for draglock and to shuffle buttons around to my liking,
>> and while I can tell from web searches that the "xinput" tool may indeed
>> be the way to do this, I am left completely bumfuzzled by how the heck
>> I am supposed to use it. The man page is utterly cryptic and many hours of
>> web searches have turned up zero examples that might give me a hint.
>> Or if the xinput tool isn't really what I want, what is the tool I want?
>
> xinput may be used to configure devices at runtime, yes. It's like a swiss
> army knife though and while quite universally applicable for this not the
> best user interface. Ideally, the desktop environments will configure this
> stuff soon but until then:

 	As someone who doesn't use a desktop environment, but does use Fedora,
I dump my xinput commands into

/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/46-SpaceNavigator-settings.sh

 	...because I have a SpaceNavigator pointing device.

 	I also have a USB keyboard that keeps dropping out on me, so I have a
special scrip tfor configuring that too.

 	HTH,

| Name: Tim Nelson                 | Because the Creator is,        |
| E-mail: wayland at wayland.id.au    | I am                           |