[Q] Xorg VNC driver?

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Sep 29 16:23:17 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 05:59:34PM +0200, Matthias Hopf wrote:
> On Sep 23, 09 14:33:24 -0500, Pat Kane wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 8:46 AM, Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de> wrote:
> > > Sorry, porting was only to 1.6.3.901 (just noted that). However, they
> > > will probably a good start.
> > They provide a very good staring point and  have saved me a lot of
> > work, thank you.
> >
> > I think the the mouse init code, init.c, needs to look somthing like
> > the attached snippet
> >  of code (sorry I can not make patches yet).  Does that look right?
>
> It doesn't look wrong (though I'm unsure how z axis i.e. mouse wheel is
> handled, and in the code I can only see handling of 3 buttons and 2
> axes), but I'm not exactly fluent in that area.

if the driver posts wheels as buttons 4/5 the server will ignore them if it
isn't set up. So the previous snippet is correct though without mouse
wheel support.

To get the wheel support, just inc NBUTTONS to 7 and set it up with the
labels BTN_LABEL_PROP_BTN_WHEEL_UP, BTN_LABEL_PROP_BTN_WHEEL_DOWN,
BTN_LABEL_PROP_BTN_HWHEEL_LEFT, BTN_LABEL_PROP_BTN_HWHEEL_RIGHT.

Note that button labelling is still optional, a label of 0 is permitted.
Labels are a hint to clients so they know what a given button does. For any
button from 1-7 labels are arguably superfluous since we can't change much
anyway - too many clients rely on the current behaviour.

Cheers,
  Peter