Smooth scrolling

Simon Thum simon.thum at gmx.de
Tue Apr 6 09:59:15 PDT 2010

Hi Max,

I've had a small look at your work. I've often had requests to do this
by users who assumed this would work the same way as pointer
acceleration, which unfortunately it doesn't. So I have a small comment
and a suggestion.

The comment first; from your rationale: "The new event would specify the
scrolled range in pixels or inch (needs to be decided!)..."

The problem I see is that it's really degrees or cycles on a wheel, or
some distance on more freaky devices (e.g. pad on mouse). Maybe it's
preferable to add some (user-overrideable) axis information which
toolkits may use to ultimately do something sensible.

Now for my suggestion: when things work fine (i.e. not now ;), you may
want to add acceleration to the scroll wheel. The ptrveloc.h header
contains the necessary methods to create an 'acceleration context', feed
it with the wheel data and map it over acceleration functions. I think
some windows drivers implement such a feature.

In case you're interested, just mail me.

Cheers,

Simon