multiple monitors configuration without proprietary driver

aaron mcewan chainsawbike at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 18:52:27 PDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 15:14 +0100, Luis Alberto Padrón Hernández wrote:

> I have not been able to get 'nvidia' driver to work, so I need to set my
> two monitors with 'nv' driver (I guess). I have tried lots of things without
> luck.
id recommend either get the closed nvidia driver going or maybe nouveau?
nv is a very "minimal" driver...

> Section "Device"
>         Option     "DualHead" "true"
>     Identifier  "Card0"
>     Driver      "nv"
>     VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
>     BoardName   "NV44 [GeForce 6500]"
>     BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
>         Screen      0
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>         #Option     "DualHead"  "true"
>     Identifier  "Card1"
>     Driver      "nv"
>     VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
>     BoardName   "NV44 [GeForce 6500]"
>     BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
>         Screen       1
> EndSection

are you sure you need that second device section? based on everything
else you said id assume you only have one card...

> Section "Screen"
>     Identifier "Screen0"
>     Device     "Card0"
>     Monitor    "Monitor0"
>         DefaultDepth  24
>     SubSection "Display"
>         Modes       "1280x1024"
>     EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>     Identifier "Screen1"
>     Device     "Card1"

if im correct then that line is wrong to... should be:
     Device     "Card0"

>     Monitor    "Monitor1"
>         DefaultDepth  24
>     SubSection "Display"
>         Modes       "1280x1024"
>     EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>     Identifier     "Myself Configured"
>     Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
>         Screen      1  "Screen1" LeftOf "Screen0"
>     InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
>     InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
>         #Option         "Xinerama"  "on"
>         #Option         "Clone"    "on"
> EndSection

aaron m