ATI Radeon R100 QD (7200) refuses to work with Compiz (Kernel 2.6.34-rc4)

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Mon Apr 26 02:10:41 PDT 2010

On Son, 2010-04-25 at 20:31 +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
> 2010/4/25 Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net>:

> > No, there were more issues with the patch[0] and it can't be pushed
> > again as is. A different approach will be needed to make things work
> > better on VRAM-limited systems.
> >

> > [0] At least making pinning of BOs to VRAM unreliable, potentially
> > causing problems with BOs used by the display hardware (e.g. trying to
> > start a second X server when VRAM is full of BOs), and degrading
> > performance on systems where things work without the patch.
>
> Yeah I'm going to try and fix that up this week now we fixed the AGP.
>
> I'm just going to separate the pinning code from the validate code wrt
> domain->placement translation.

That's a start, but IME validation using the new scheme degrades
performance on setups which work with the old scheme. Maybe the old
scheme can be tried first and the new one as a fallback, at least as an
interim solution. But I think the new scheme really shouldn't be
necessary if we didn't over-report the amount of VRAM available to
userspace and prevented fragmentation due to pinned BOs, which should be
feasible.