[drm] drmOpen failed; MACH64(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit Failed

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 22:38:22 PDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 1:27 AM, lesliek at ozemail.com.au
<lesliek at ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> Thanks for replying, Corbin.
>
> Unfortunately, I haven't got the technical knowledge to understand your reply.
>
> Could I just ask this?
>
> Right now, the log tells me that "ModulePath [is] set to '/usr/lib/X11/modules'".
>
> There's a Modules section in my xorg.conf file that lists five modules, "extmod",
> "dbe", "glx", "freetype" and "dri". Four of those are in
> /usr/lib/X11/modules/extensions, while one is in /usr/lib/X11/modules/fonts.
>
> The file mach64_dri.so is in /usr/lib/dri.
>
> Is there any chance that I could copy /dri/mach64_dri.so to /usr/lib/X11/modules
> and then add the file's name to the Modules section in my xorg.conf file? Or was
> your reply telling me in effect that that's what I can't do?

mach64_dri.so is the userspace 3D driver.  It's fine where it is.  You
also need a kernel module that the userspace 3D driver talks to
actually send the commands to the card.  The mach64 kernel module was
never merged into the kernel so so you'll have to dig it out of the
old out of kernel drm git tree and built it yourself.  I doubt it will
build on a recent kernel, so you'll probably have to do some hacking
to get it built against whatever kernel you are running.

Alex