Xv has color glitches with radeon driver

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Thu Aug 5 18:41:02 PDT 2010

On 07/28/2010 01:10 AM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> I'm not exactly sure when the problem first occurred, but it's been
> quite a while, definitely more than 6 months. Here's a screenshot of the
> problem:
>
> http://i25.tinypic.com/2vkxrh3.png
>
> This is with mplayer using Xv, on standard definition video in
> fullscreen. Note the gree, red and blue color bars at the bottom. They
> always appear, but naturally, they're most visible in dark scenes. It's
> not an mplayer bug it seems, since pausing the video and going out of
> fullscreen and then back makes them go away temporarily. Also, they
> never appear with AMD's binary fglrx driver or on non-radeon cards.
>
> The problem, as I mentioned already, is an old one. Right now, I'm at:
>
> Radeon HD4870
> kernel 2.6.35_rc6
> xf86-video-ati Git master
> Mesa Git master
> X server Git master

I've made another observation (accidentally).  The problem does never
occur when compositing is active.  KDE "unredirects" fullscreen
applications by default (meaning that compositing gets disabled).
However, if I disable that (for example by right clicking somewhere so
that SMPlayer's or VLC's context menu appears, which also disables the
unredirecting and re-activates compositing), then the colors are
perfectly fine again.

Does that mean that it could be a bug in KDE's compositor?