Need help: Lost keyboard after xorg upgrade

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Aug 9 17:43:31 PDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 08:33:28AM +0200, Michael wrote:
> Thanks for the ideas.
>
> Yes, I have the /etc/default/keyboard file. It has the entries:
>
> XKBMODEL="pc105"
> XKBLAYOUT="de"
> XKBVARIANT="de"
> XKBOPTIONS="altwin:super_win"
>
> The file is (except of the XKBOPTIONS) identical to the one on the other
> laptop which works fine.
>
> I looked into the /etc/udev/rules.d and they also seem to be identical
> between the two laptops.

> > system-setup-keyboard is fedora-specific. the debian equivalent is in
> > /etc/defaults/keyboard.
>
> Not sure if this is the same, but I tried using an xorg.conf file (instead
> of default: no file):
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
>         Driver          "kbd"
>         Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
>         Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
>         Option          "XkbLayout"     "de"
>         Option          "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
>         Option          "XkbOptions"    "lv3:ralt_switch"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
>         Driver          "mouse"
>         Option          "CorePointer"
>         Option          "Buttons"               "3"
> EndSection

Since 1.5 or so keyboard and mouse xorg.conf sections are ignored when you
have hotplugging enabled to avoid duplicate devices. so this config has no
effect.

Please try adding Option "AutoAddDevices" "off" to your server layout
section. this disables hotplugging and forces the server to use a different
driver. If that driver works, we can at least narrow down what's going on
here because the log looks normal.

Cheers,
  Peter