Need help: Lost keyboard after xorg upgrade

Michael auslands-kv at gmx.de
Tue Aug 10 01:13:33 PDT 2010

Peter Hutterer wrote:

> can you run evtest against the keyboard's device files to see if they
> correctly send key events as you type on the keyboard? I don't see any
> other reason the evdev driver would stop sending events.
>
> Cheers,
>   Peter

That seems to work.

I installed the evtest package and started "evtest /dev/input/event0". It
show events either type "Misc" or, when I press a key, type "Key" together
with the correct key code.

So, is it possible, as there where so many keyboards detected in the
Xorg.log that X simply does not work with the "correct" one?

> [...]
>  (**) Option "xkb_layout" "de"
>  (**) Option "xkb_variant" "de"
>  (**) Option "xkb_options" "altwin:super_win"
>  (II) config/udev: Adding input device Lid Switch (/dev/input/event1)
>  (II) No input driver/identifier specified (ignoring)
>  (II) config/udev: Adding input device Power Button (/dev/input/event2)
>  (**) Power Button: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
>  (**) Power Button: always reports core events
>  (**) Power Button: Device: "/dev/input/event2"
>  (II) Power Button: Found keys
>  (II) Power Button: Configuring as keyboard
>  (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Power Button" (type: KEYBOARD)
>  (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
>  (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
>  (**) Option "xkb_layout" "de"
>  (**) Option "xkb_variant" "de"
>  (**) Option "xkb_options" "altwin:super_win"
>  (II) config/udev: Adding input device Sleep Button (/dev/input/event3)
>  (**) Sleep Button: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
>  (**) Sleep Button: always reports core events
>  (**) Sleep Button: Device: "/dev/input/event3"
>  (II) Sleep Button: Found keys
>  (II) Sleep Button: Configuring as keyboard
>  (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Sleep Button" (type: KEYBOARD)
>  (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
>  (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
>  (**) Option "xkb_layout" "de"
>  (**) Option "xkb_variant" "de"
>  (**) Option "xkb_options" "altwin:super_win"
>  (II) config/udev: Adding input device AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
(/dev/input/event0)
>  (**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard
catchall"
>  (**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: always reports core events
>  (**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Device: "/dev/input/event0"
>  (II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Found keys
>  (II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Configuring as keyboard
>  (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
(type: KEYBOARD)
>  (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
>  (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
>  (**) Option "xkb_layout" "de"
>  (**) Option "xkb_variant" "de"
>  (**) Option "xkb_options" "altwin:super_win"
>  (II) config/udev: Adding input device FSPPS/2 Sentelic FingerSensingPad
(/dev/input/event7)
>  (**) FSPPS/2 Sentelic FingerSensingPad: Applying InputClass "evdev
pointer catchall"
>  (**) FSPPS/2 Sentelic FingerSensingPad: always reports core events
>  (**) FSPPS/2 Sentelic FingerSensingPad: Device: "/dev/input/event7"
>  (II) FSPPS/2 Sentelic FingerSensingPad: Found 11 mouse buttons
>  (II) FSPPS/2 Sentelic FingerSensingPad: Found scroll wheel(s)
>  (II) FSPPS/2 Sentelic FingerSensingPad: Found relative axes
>  (II) FSPPS/2 Sentelic FingerSensingPad: Found x and y relative axes
>  (II) FSPPS/2 Sentelic FingerSensingPad: Configuring as mouse
>  (**) FSPPS/2 Sentelic FingerSensingPad: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
>  (**) FSPPS/2 Sentelic FingerSensingPad: EmulateWheelButton: 4,
EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
>  (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "FSPPS/2 Sentelic
FingerSensingPad" (type: MOUSE)
>  (II) FSPPS/2 Sentelic FingerSensingPad: initialized for relative axes.
>  (II) config/udev: Adding input device FSPPS/2 Sentelic FingerSensingPad
(/dev/input/mouse0)
>  (II) No input driver/identifier specified (ignoring)
>  (II) config/udev: Adding input device PC Speaker (/dev/input/event6)
>  (II) No input driver/identifier specified (ignoring)
>  (II) config/udev: Adding input device ACPI Virtual Keyboard Device
(/dev/input/event8)
>  (**) ACPI Virtual Keyboard Device: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard
catchall"
>  (**) ACPI Virtual Keyboard Device: always reports core events
>  (**) ACPI Virtual Keyboard Device: Device: "/dev/input/event8"
>  (II) ACPI Virtual Keyboard Device: Found keys
>  (II) ACPI Virtual Keyboard Device: Configuring as keyboard
>  (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "ACPI Virtual Keyboard Device"
(type: KEYBOARD)
>  (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
>  (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
>  (**) Option "xkb_layout" "de"
>  (**) Option "xkb_variant" "de"
>  (**) Option "xkb_options" "altwin:super_win"
(Log without "AutoAddDevices" "off" option)

Cheers,

Michael