Mouse glitch/display freeze problem

Bruce Guenter bruce at untroubled.org
Thu Dec 9 11:15:14 PST 2010

Hi.

I'm having a problem with my X system after replacing my video card.
The mouse and display freeze for about 1/10th of a second every roughly
10 seconds when moving the mouse.  When the mouse is not moving, no
freezes are observed.  I have been using glxgears as a simple program to
show the freezes, and the glitches visible in its movements are
consistent with the mouse motion pauses.  As well, when the pauses
happen, the FPS reported by glxgears consistently drop by about 3-4%.
The same stalls are observed when no GL applications are running
(AFAICT), and I am not using a compositing window manager.

System details: I am running xorg server 1.7.7 on Gentoo Linux with
2.6.36.1 kernel.  The old video card was an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, the
new is an ATI Radeon HD 5450.  I am using the open source xf86-video-ati
video driver and mesa.

Where can I look to resolve this?

--
Bruce Guenter <bruce at untroubled.org>                http://untroubled.org/