How to operate multiple windows using multiple pointers in newly configured X server (MPX)

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Feb 9 16:34:40 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 03:42:06PM +0530, Amey wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>              I am an undergraduate student pursuing my engineering degree.I
> have configured X server with new version.I wanted a window manager on my
> newly configured X server and so for that I used .xinitrc to start a new
> gnome-session as follows:
>
> *exec gnome-session*
>
> So I logged in to new gnome-session successfully.Even I succeeded in
> creating a new master and reattach it to a slave using xinput utility.But
> still I want to use multiple pointers created on this new X server to
> control multiple windows at a time which I failed to do on current
> gnome-session.Once I read about 'mpwm'  but didn't get its source code to
> configure.So is there any other way or any other window manager to achieve
> my requirement? Please suggest in this regard..

AFAIK, compiz is the only WM that has parts of XI2 support. I don't know the
current state of it and whether that part has been merged into mainline yet.
There may be WMs that allow you to move multiple windows at a time (I think
I heard enlightenment does so) but that is more by accident :)

mpwm was a proof-of-concept only and I haven't looked at it in months. It's
probably easy enough to fix up though if you can be bothered, the code isn't
pretty but small enough.

Cheers,
  Peter