X.Org Foundation Board of Directors 2010 Election

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Feb 10 13:57:24 PST 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 09:56:08PM +0100, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
> I have no idea when such meetings are supposed to be held, how regular
> there are. No such information is available publically, or at least not
> available to my knowledge.

#xorg-bod on OFTC, fortnightly.  I think it's something like 10AM
Wednesdays, Portland time?

> Secondly, if it happens openly on irc anyway, why not put the logs up on
> the wiki? Nothing easier than that.

There's no particular reason this hasn't been done.

> Third point: you say that the state of the foundation is being
> disclosed at every XDC. Unless you want to send every X.org foundation
> member over on a then very limited amount of Xorg foundation money,
> please make the details available on the wiki. This is very little work.
> Heck, since we are in the iphone generation anyway, how hard is it to
> organise a short video or audio recording which can serve as a basis for
> this?

Well, if you'd read the entire mail you'd quoted ... ;) As I said, I
agree with you that all of these things: reports of what the
Foundation's been up to should absolutely be on the wiki, including
_all_ of our financial details.  I don't think anyone disagrees, and in
fact I think pretty much everyone is on the record as agreeing.

Kind of like how we agree that X should be the best windowing system
around.  That it's not right now, doesn't reflect any lack of insight on
the behalf of the current developer base, mainly just lack of time.

> All of these things seem to be easy to fix, without much in the way of
> overhead. Why were none of these things thought of directly?

Of course they've been thought of, it's just that no-one's done them.
If I have spare time to throw at either X.Org the technical project or
the X.Org Foundation, then the former wins.  I suspect a lot of the
others are in the same boat.

> I am the first person to think of this, because that's just who i am.
> Since then I have heard of several others who confirmed my sentiments.

Er, you're not actually the first person to think of it; as you pointed
out, they are indeed very obvious.  And we were posting meeting
summaries to the wiki for a while (you linked to some in your first
mail), but that was some time ago now.

Cheers,
Daniel