Fwd: X.Org Foundation Board of Directors 2010 Election

David Nicol davidnicol at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 22:49:39 PST 2010

Hello, xorg at lists.freedesktop.org
I'm running for a position on the BOD.
Please vote for me.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Nicol <davidnicol at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 5:44 PM
Subject: Re: X.Org Foundation Board of Directors 2010 Election
To: Luc Verhaegen <libv at skynet.be>
Cc: Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org>, members at x.org,
xorg at lists.freedesktop.org

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Luc Verhaegen <libv at skynet.be> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 09:43:04PM +0000, Daniel Stone wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:42:33AM -0600, David Nicol wrote:
>> > A vote for David Nicol is a vote for transparency!
>>
>> Full transparency into exactly what all the board members know still
>> wouldn't tell you much more than what you already know.
>
> It will at least give us an idea as to why we are voting at all.
>
> Currently we have absolutely nothing to go by.

I have experience with participating in effective meetings with a
time-zone constrained committees going back to the early nineties,
when I was a founding member of an on-line game exploring the dynamics
of bylaws. Which still exists. The written medium is perfectly fine
for holding meetings -- it worked for the founding fathers of the USA
two hundred and change years ago, with transparency still available in
the form of things like The Federalist Papers (which I haven't read,
but I would like to find the time, I think.)

So as a campaign promise, I, as a board member, will attempt to shift
the meetings into a less synchronous mode. Given a wiki on which all
parties may describe their positions, real progress can be made with
far less procedural infighting than you get with a synchronous meeting
with the awful bottleneck of Who Has The Floor.

That game had participants in Australia, the USA, and Europe, both
eastern and western. My big takeaway was, you don't want to get in a
position opposed to Norwegians in December in a play-by-e-mail game,
as you will lose.

--
Is it the time when there isn't time to discuss but there is time to act yet?