Slow 2D with radeon KMS

Pauli Nieminen suokkos at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 06:43:08 PST 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 3:58 PM, Damien Mir
<mailings.xorg at mirabel-sil.com> wrote:
> Now with :
> - xserver 1.7.4
> - 2.6.33rc7 with KMS
> - libdrm, mesa, xf86-video-ati from git
> 2D and 3D are back OK on an R700 (HD4650 mobility (M98))
>
> However I see 2 performance issues :
> - glxgears tops at 1450fps (compared to ~2500fps without KMS)

glxgears is not a 3D performance benchmark. DRI2 is doing tear free
correct rendering in composited environment which does cost extra
copy. Of course it could be better optimized but optimization is low
priority for r600 driver.

> - GL vsync is broken, ie visual tearing especially at playing large videos
> (XV or OGL) with Kwin compositing enabled

vsync was broken when intel merged the new vsync code. So you should
use mesa from time before the merge (about a week ago)