Display on HDMI-connected TV too large

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 19 15:36:11 PST 2010

On 2010/02/19 20:37 (GMT+0100) Sebastian Beßler composed:

> recently I changed my dual-head setting from fglrx and old zephod to
> xf86-video-ati, KMS and xrandr.
> Nearly all works great, since KDE 4.4 even that, but the display on my
> TFT-TV is a bit too large on all sides so that it doesn't fit completely
> in. It is only a cm or so on all sides that overlap but it is really
> annoying.

> My normal monitor is a 19" Widescreen TFT connected via DVI to old 15 Pin
> VGA connector and runs at 1440x900.
> My 19" TV is connected via HDMI and runs at 1280x720

> The same configuration worked perfectly in zaphod mode so that it is
> possible with this hardware. But as zaphod is more then less broken and
> without priority I changed to xrandr.

> I have a Radeon 3650HD

I read all the previous replies. None suggested applying Occam's Razor (the
simplest explanation/strategy/solution tends to be the best one):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor

Try the autosize button on the TV. If it doesn't have a dedicated button for
it, find the equivalent in its menus. If it doesn't have that either, resize
manually.

Regardless whether the above works, be sure to try expunging the modelines
from xorg.conf. In my experience they're rarely necessary for any display
made in the past decade, and more likely to create trouble than solve it.
--
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious
people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/