"Screen 1 deleted because of no matching section"

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Sun Feb 21 08:07:17 PST 2010

Hello,

I am trying to make my triple-head setup work with Xorg 7.5, using
KMS with kernel 2.6.33-rc8. This is on Debian sid.

My problem is that I can make it work such that Xinerama works, but
the screens are out of order (1/3/2). If I change the configuration,
X.org seems to delete one of the screens and it all reverts to
single head. The message in the log is that of the subject line.

I have two Radeon RV280 cards in the system. A Radeon 9200PRO
(0000:00:0c.0) drives an Acer LCD on the DVI port, and a Radeon 9200
(0000:01:00.0) drives an identical Acer LCD on the DVI port, and an
ancient VGA LCA on the VGA port.

I have CONFIG_VGA_ARB set, and the radeon kernel module loads long
before X.org is started. While the kernel cannot read the EDID off
the old VGA monitor connected to "VGA-2" of the second card (and
hence there is anger in the logs, see attached), it seems that KMS
is correctly set up before X.org starts.

I am using the attached xorg.conf file to drive the setup. The
reason why I (think I have to) use a configuration file is to
instruct X.org to address both Radeon RV280 cards in the system
— without the configuration file, only the second of the two cards
is initialised, and the display on the first card's DVI port stays
blank.

The xorg.conf file defines three screens named Screen[0] through
Screen[2], and the appropriate devices and monitors. I am using the
"Screen" option in the Device section to address the different
outputs of a single card.

For years, this used to work just fine, but I suppose KMS causes the
screens on the 9200 to be reversed. While previously, DVI/VGA were
screens 0/1, with KMS ist seems that DVI/VGA are 1/0 respectively.
This might be reflected in the lspci output, where .0 is the VGA
display, while the secondary is just a "display adapter":

  01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200] (rev 01)
  01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200] (Secondary) (rev 01)

If I start up X.org with the attached xorg.conf, the middle and
right-most LCDs are swapped, and the mouse moves off the right off
the left-most screen directly onto the right-most, and off the right
edge of that directly onto the middle screen. The attached log file
for this scenario is Xorg.0.log.ok.132.gz.

I am failing to rearrange the order. I tried all of the following:

- swapping the "Screen" options in the two R9200 Device sections
  such that line 56 reads "Screen 1" and line 64 reads "Screen 0".

- swapping the "Device" options in the two "Screen" sections
  referencing the 9200 devices, such that line 25 reads
  'Device "Radeon 9200[1]"' and line 36 reads
  'Device "Radeon 9200[0]"'

- changing lines 6-7 such that for Screen 1, it's "Screen[2] RightOf
  Screen[0]" and for screen 2 it's "Screen[1] RightOf Screen [2]"

In all three cases, only the left-most screen (Screen[0]) is
activated. It seems that the 9200 card is completely ignored. The
log (also attached as Xorg.0.log.screen-1-deleted.gz) says:

  (EE) Screen 1 deleted because of no matching config section.

Any idea what is going on?

Is there a different way I should be trying to get multiple GPUs to
work with X.org 7.5?

Thanks,

"the problem with america is stupidity. i'm not saying there should
 be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take
 the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve
 itself?"
                                                        -- seen on irc

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net