Frozen Display

ANDREW NGO andyhngo at msn.com
Wed Feb 24 18:59:42 PST 2010

Hi,
We've got a (large) Java Swing application that's demonstrating some very strange behavior. If the computer running it is left idle (no mouse or keyboard input) for a sufficiently long time (varies between an hour or so and a couple of days), the Swing display sometimes stops updating totally (we've got, among other things, a clock shown on-screen that stops updating) until the user moves the mouse. Once the mouse has been moved, our application seems to function normally. (Creating and removing a window from another application also causes the display to start updating again; keyboard input doesn't appear to be sufficient.).  There are no errors in /var/log/messages etc.

Following are the software environments:

  a..    RHEL5.0 distro, but kernel was upgraded to 2.6.25.14
·         JDK 1.6.0_07

·         xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.1.1-48.13.e15

·         openmotif-2.3.0-0.5.el5

Any assitance you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Andy Ngo