Xorg crashes...

Ryan Daly daly at ctc.com
Wed Jan 6 18:21:24 PST 2010

On 01/06/2010 03:59 PM, Justin P. Mattock wrote:
> over here my xorg modules live in:
> /usr/lib/xorg/modules/*
> ubuntu might be the same(but can't remember).
>
> as for uninstalling, synaptic I think
> might let you uninstall a module
> individually, but you never know might
> want to uninstall a whole mess load of stuff.
> (dependencies)
>
> depending on what synaptic does if it wants to uninstall
> a mess load, I would not even bother, and just locate
> the evdev_drv.so/la modules rename them or move them to a
> safe location. then git clone
> git://anongit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-input-evdev
> (or just leave them their and write over them with a fresh copy,
> and when done use apt-get reinstall on it to copy that version again).
>
> compile it, remember you might need to specify the location of
> the modules with a switch i.g.
> ./configure --someswitch=/specifying/the/location/of/input/modules
> (that's if ubuntu has them in another location other than default);
>
> then see if it fixes your issue.
> now keep in mind it could be evdev, it could
> even be libpthread or libxrandr.. tough to say.

I grabbed the source and some dependencies, but I'm getting an error on
the version of the macros installed.

daly at riddler <31#> sh autogen.sh
autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal
configure.ac:36: error: must install xorg-macros 1.3 or later before
running autoconf/autogen
configure.ac:36: the top level
autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
aclocal: autom4te failed with exit status: 1
autoreconf: aclocal failed with exit status: 1

I'm not sure how to overcome that one...  Ubuntu provides a package that
contains xorg-macros.m4, but I'm gathering that the version I have is
too low.  I commented out the line that checks for the version to get
passed it, but I'm not certain if that was OK.  I'm getting another
error on the compilation:

daly at riddler <36#> make
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/daly/xf86-input-evdev'
Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/daly/xf86-input-evdev/src'
/bin/bash ../libtool --tag=CC   --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.
-I.. -I../include/   -I/usr/include/xorg -I/usr/include/pixman-1   -g
-O2 -MT evdev.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/evdev.Tpo -c -o evdev.lo evdev.c
libtool: compile:  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I../include/
-I/usr/include/xorg -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -g -O2 -MT evdev.lo -MD -MP
-MF .deps/evdev.Tpo -c evdev.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/evdev.o
evdev.c: In function `EvdevKbdCtrl':
evdev.c:1083: warning: ignoring return value of `write', declared with
attribute warn_unused_result
evdev.c: At top level:
evdev.c:2097: error: `PACKAGE_VERSION_MAJOR' undeclared here (not in a
function)
evdev.c:2097: error: `PACKAGE_VERSION_MINOR' undeclared here (not in a
function)
evdev.c:2097: error: `PACKAGE_VERSION_PATCHLEVEL' undeclared here (not
in a function)
make[2]: *** [evdev.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/daly/xf86-input-evdev/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/daly/xf86-input-evdev'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Is that error caused by the macros being too old, or is that something
completely unrelated?

This message and any files transmitted within are intended
solely for the addressee or its representative and may
contain company sensitive information.  If you are not the
intended recipient, notify the sender immediately and delete
this message.  Publication, reproduction, forwarding, or
content disclosure is prohibited without the consent of the
original sender and may be unlawful.

Concurrent Technologies Corporation and its Affiliates.
www.ctc.com  1-800-282-4392