Xorg crashes...

Ryan Daly daly at ctc.com
Mon Jan 11 06:04:56 PST 2010

On 01/11/2010 09:02 AM, Justin P. Mattock wrote:
> On 01/11/10 05:53, Ryan Daly wrote:
>> On 01/11/2010 08:47 AM, Tom Cowell wrote:
>>> Ah yes. My strace suggestion would have the same problem.
>>>
>>> On my machine (and presumably yours) the Xorg binary is setuid-root -
>>> it acquires elevated permissions when you run it, and this breaks the
>>> process tracing (and it seems odd to me (though I haven't tried) that
>>> you were able to debug it).
>>>
>>> You could try repeating your valgrind test as root, maybe.
>>
>> I did try the strace as root, but I received errors there, too:
>>

>> xauth:  timeout in locking authority file /root/.Xauthority
>> xauth:  timeout in locking authority file /root/.Xauthority
>> xauth:  timeout in locking authority file /root/.Xauthority
>> xauth:  timeout in locking authority file /root/.Xauthority
>>
>> X: unable to open wrapper config file /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config
>> X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.
>> giving up.
>> xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X
>> server
>> xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.
>> xauth:  timeout in locking authority file /root/.Xauthority
>>

> my bad didn't even think about setuid(thought valgrind
> would work without the whole root thing).
> I guess abort that idea.

No problem...  Let me know if you come up with anything else I can try...

This message and any files transmitted within are intended
solely for the addressee or its representative and may
contain company sensitive information.  If you are not the
intended recipient, notify the sender immediately and delete
this message.  Publication, reproduction, forwarding, or
content disclosure is prohibited without the consent of the
original sender and may be unlawful.

Concurrent Technologies Corporation and its Affiliates.
www.ctc.com  1-800-282-4392