visual resizing and positioning of displays

allcoms allcoms at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 12 12:39:48 PST 2010

> With digital monitors you are almost always guaranteed to have an EDID
> (IIRC, DVI and HDMI require it) which should prevent you from needing
> to tweak the modeline as the EDID contains the supported modelines
> from the monitor.
>
> Alex

I have a Mini 10 netbook with poulsbo gfx / HDMI out which runs jaunty
with the psb driver. I've only tried it on 2 different HDMI displays
but the display didn't fit on either- I couldn't see my full desktop.
Does this mean the psb driver is non-EDID aware?

Poulsbo may be a bad example as its drivers don't have a great rep, so
lets take my Dads Ion netbook as an example. I installed the binary,
185.x NV drivers under Karmic on it and tried it with 2 different
displays and yet again the display did not fit on the screen.
Searching the web I found many reports of others having the same
problem- does this mean NV's binary Linux drivers are also non-EDID
aware?

With the same netbook (a HP/Compaq Mini 311) running XP and the latest
NV Ion drivers I had exactly the same problem on both (different)
displays I tried it on in that the desktop didn't fit the display
properly but at least under Windows the NV config tool does have a
tool for resizing and moving HDTV displays which meant I was able to
set it up properly under Windows. Does this mean Nvidia's Windows
driver doesn't detect EDID properly either or am I just really unlucky
with my displays? With both Windows and Linux I've never had a
faultless 'plug and play' experience with HDMI, thus the need for an
updated xvidtune.

Dan