please help - MIT-SHM extension > XShmCreatePixmap issue

Julien Cristau jcristau at debian.org
Fri Jan 15 11:15:27 PST 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 14:02:13 -0500, mark wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've got a question regarding an error that I'm getting trying to
> communicate with the X server.  It seems my XShmCreatePixmap call is
> returning:
>
> *X Error of failed request:  BadImplementation (server does not
> implement operation)*

Your app doesn't seem to be using XShmQueryVersion().  Shared pixmaps
are optional, and your server/driver probably doesn't support them.
Your app needs to fall back to another method if XShmQueryVersion() says
that shared memory pixmaps aren't available.  (xdpyinfo -ext MIT-SHM
should help confirm this.)

Cheers,
Julien