Configuring FireMV 2400

Timothy S. Nelson wayland at wayland.id.au
Thu Jan 21 16:39:27 PST 2010

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010, Bill Conner wrote:

>  I've been fighting with get a ATI FireMV 2400 PCIE for several days now and
> I've reached a dead end. I was hoping someone has already resolved my issue
> or can point me in the right direction.

 	I have a 2400 MV with only two working heads.  I've been following the
issue moderately closely.  However, I'm no expert on xorg in general.

> Environment details
> Ubuntu 9.10
> 2.6.31-18-generic
> xorg-server 2:1.6.4-2ubuntu4.1
>
> The 2400 is a quad-head board with two M24 chips appearing on separate PCI
> slots. In my case 0:5:0:0(primary) and 0:6:0:0
>
> The server has no issue in auto detect mode with the primary M24 and it's
> dual heads perfectly. The problem is getting the server to recognize the
> second M24. It sees the card but it fails to load:

 	The problem is, when xorg was refactored to use/create libpciaccess,
no-one was testing for support of multiple graphics chips, and it got broken
along the way.  This has now been fixed, but only in version 1.7.  You will
need to upgrade to version 1.7 before it will work.

 	I haven't personally gotten around to installing 1.7 myself.  I plan
to do this in May.  I'm on Fedora 11, and I'd have to upgrade to Fedora 12 (or
go through a lot of hassles recompiling half the stuff on my system).  I'm
waiting for F13.  A quick skim of ubuntu-related information reveals that
you're on Karmic, which is the latest release.  I was unable to determine what
version of xorg is going to be used in Lucid.  That's the advantage of Fedora;
it's already had an xorg 1.7-using version out for months.  It seems to me
your options are:
1.	Stick with what you have as dual-head
2.	Recompile xorg yourself, which I regard as a vast undertaking (but I'm
 	no xorg expert)
3.	Start using Fedora, the most up-to-date distro around ;)

 	Of course, I could've missed another option there.

 	Note, also, that I don't promise that xorg 1.7 will work, but I do
know that if you ask questions here, the experts will say "upgrade to 1.7".

 	HTH,

| Name: Tim Nelson                 | Because the Creator is,        |
| E-mail: wayland at wayland.id.au    | I am                           |