Keyboard buttons event-based or device based?

Crypto crptdngl71 at gmx.net
Mon Jan 25 02:22:56 PST 2010

Hi,

I am not sure if this is related to xorg, maybe it is related to KDE, Gnome
etc.

I often connect an external USB keyboard to my notebook for faster typing.

In KDE etc. (i.e. GUI) applications it is often possible to re-assign keyboard
events to particular menu entries of that application so that one gets new
keyboard shortcuts.

It seems to me that these entries are "event-based" - the application receives
e.g. "CTRL+c" and will copy selected text etc. to clipboard. But can the
application also tell which device has sent the command? If it does not then I
could attach six USB keyboards to my notebook which all would enter the same
commands and I would not get any more options for assigning keyboard
shortcuts.

Instead in my example it would be like "internal notebook keyboard" + "CTRL+c"
or "external keyboard" + "CTRL+c", which I call "device-based". Although in
both cases I entered the same key sequence I would get more keyboard shortcuts
because in this case the device also would be taken into account.

By using a device-based assignment of shortcuts one could get more
alternatives for the shortcuts. One could have an external numblock that could
send "open browser", "run office program" etc. whereas the standard keyboard
sends the numbers 0 to 9 on its numblock. But in both cases only the numblock
number keys were pressed.

What do you think?

Thanks for any hint and kind regards,
Crypto.