X11 fullscreen

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Jan 28 07:58:33 PST 2010

> Forget widget toolkits. They're totally lame wrappers that hide
> all the useful functionality from you, run like a waterlogged
> sheep, and otherwise assume you don't want to get anything really
> nontrivial running this month.

Unless you need to get any real work done - like non western font
rendering, accessibility (to make your app meet legal requirements in
parts of the world etc)

I'm also not sure why you'd want to use Xlib nowdays. I mean Xlib has a
serial non-threaded model without callbacks that causes apps to block
on queries - problems you won't have if you hand code the X11 message
parser yourself in optimised assembler ;)

(or use Xcb if you aren't quite so serious)