X11 fullscreen

Russell Shaw rjshaw at netspace.net.au
Fri Jan 29 04:29:43 PST 2010

Alan Cox wrote:
>> One can do all that with their own libraries based on Xlib. I don't use
>> any Xlib font functions.
>
> And how is your Gujerati and accessibility ... ?

Non-existant, but the precise place and how it should be plugged in is defined
for easy addition if required.

>>> I'm also not sure why you'd want to use Xlib nowdays. I mean Xlib has a
>>> serial non-threaded model without callbacks that causes apps to block
>>> on queries - problems you won't have if you hand code the X11 message
>>> parser yourself in optimised assembler ;)
>> No way to avoid it. You can't draw on a window until you've waited for
>> the first expose event etc.
>
> A lot of queries you can avoid the overhead because you can batch queries
> and answers. You can also stall one thread on a query while others do
> things. You might be waiting for one window to expose but that doesn't
> mean you can't be querying other stuff or rendering into other windows at
> the same time.

I need to read the protocol book and understand it properly this time.

I have found that even with XSyncronize enabled for worst possible
protocol performance, a decent architecture is unaffected.

With existing widget toolkits, you're floating that high in the clouds
you have no chance of knowing what's happening down below in Xlib and
so can't write anything efficiently.

>> One doesn't need to be confined to Xlib drawing functions either.
>> Just bit bang to Shm XImages.
>>
>> Is Xlib thread re-entrant? If not, i may do something about that.
>
> Outside of dinosaur land someone already did - its called xcb.

I've used that on multiple occaisions and have found simple and
required features missing. I have tried adding the missing things
by adding new XML definitions. Anyway, i distinctly dislike XML
anywhere i would be likely trying to make an improvement to a codebase.

xcb is designed to preserve the Xlib api. I prefer to architect
things completely new and efficient.

If xcb running under Xlib already allows Xlib to be re-entrant, i need
not worry.