Platform Specific

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Fri Jul 9 06:31:18 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 16:34 -0700, David G wrote:

> I have walked through building individual components one by one in
> attempt to learn what depends on what and have a much better grasp on
> some of the dependencies than I did a couple days ago however I am
> still lacking knowledge. What would be very helpful would be docs
> which explain each component so I can (hopefully) choose which is
> needed and which isn't.

Last week I wanted to have a minimally configured xserver for build
related work. I did a brain dead job of compiling
an xserver with the minimum packages possible. No idea if it actually
works.

This is the list of packages, in build order, that will compile,
including their configuration options:

        util/macros
        font/util
        ./pixman
        proto/xproto
        proto/kbproto
        proto/xextproto
        proto/inputproto
        lib/libXau
        xcb/proto
        xcb/pthread-stubs
        xcb/libxcb
        lib/libxtrans
        lib/libX11
        proto/bigreqsproto
        proto/damageproto
        proto/fixesproto
        proto/fontsproto
        proto/inputproto
        proto/kbproto
        proto/randrproto
        proto/renderproto
        proto/videoproto
        proto/xcmiscproto
        proto/xextproto
        proto/xproto
        lib/libxkbfile
        lib/libfontenc
        lib/libXfont 	--disable-freetype
        lib/libpciaccess
        ./xserver 	--disable-glx --disable-dri --disable-composite --disable-record --disable-screensaver --disable-xres --disable-xinerama

This was done on Ubuntu Jaunty on AMD64. There may be non xorg
dependencies that are part of the distro that I am not aware of. You may
also want to disable document generation using --disable-specs
--disable-docs or --disable-devel-docs.

You can export PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR=/dev/null to ensure you do not link to
dependencies you are not aware of.

This is the list of pkg-config files that I ended-up with at the end of
the build:

        bigreqsproto.pc
        damageproto.pc
        fixesproto.pc