Xv has color glitches with radeon driver

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Tue Jul 27 15:10:18 PDT 2010

I'm not exactly sure when the problem first occurred, but it's been
quite a while, definitely more than 6 months.  Here's a screenshot of
the problem:

http://i25.tinypic.com/2vkxrh3.png

This is with mplayer using Xv, on standard definition video in
fullscreen.  Note the gree, red and blue color bars at the bottom.  They
always appear, but naturally, they're most visible in dark scenes.  It's
not an mplayer bug it seems, since pausing the video and going out of
fullscreen and then back makes them go away temporarily.  Also, they
never appear with AMD's binary fglrx driver or on non-radeon cards.

The problem, as I mentioned already, is an old one.  Right now, I'm at:

Radeon HD4870
kernel 2.6.35_rc6
xf86-video-ati Git master
Mesa Git master