Xv has color glitches with radeon driver

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Tue Jul 27 17:37:58 PDT 2010

On 07/28/2010 01:46 AM, Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 6:10 PM, Nikos Chantziaras<realnc at arcor.de>  wrote:
>> I'm not exactly sure when the problem first occurred, but it's been quite a
>> while, definitely more than 6 months.  Here's a screenshot of the problem:
>>
>> http://i25.tinypic.com/2vkxrh3.png
>>

> Are you sure you uploaded the right image?  I don't see any bars in that image,

I'm pretty sure I don't have superhuman vision :-P  They're there, I can
see them quite clearly.  Maybe your monitor is too dark or too low contrast?

>> This is with mplayer using Xv, on standard definition video in fullscreen.
>>   Note the gree, red and blue color bars at the bottom.  They always appear,
>> but naturally, they're most visible in dark scenes.  It's not an mplayer bug
>> it seems, since pausing the video and going out of fullscreen and then back
>> makes them go away temporarily.  Also, they never appear with AMD's binary
>> fglrx driver or on non-radeon cards.
>>
>> The problem, as I mentioned already, is an old one.  Right now, I'm at:
>>
>> Radeon HD4870
>> kernel 2.6.35_rc6
>> xf86-video-ati Git master
>> Mesa Git master
>> X server Git master
>
> Does it happen with any other movie players (totem, vlc, etc.)?

Didn't try totem, but it happens with VLC too.

> If it
> is a driver bug, can you bisect xf86-video-ati to see when the problem
> was introduced?

I don't know which version introduced this; I guess I'll have to start
trying them all.

One thing I didn't mention is that the problem only appears when the
video is being scaled.  Watching in windowed mode (1:1 ratio) never
triggers it.  Only when zooming or going full-screen.