a question about energy

Simon Thum simon.thum at gmx.de
Mon Mar 1 10:41:04 PST 2010

Zhi Li wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm working in a project which study energy saving on PCs. I saw a
> strange thing which was opposite to my intuition: when PC working on
> graphic mode, it would be more energy saving.
>
> When in graphic mode, on my PC, it is 52w; when I switched to terminal
> mode(on linux alt-ctrl-1), it is 55w.
>
> I also tried to init 3, then startx, the result is same.
>
> Does anyone here know why?
Know - no. But drawn from my experience, such figures vary widely with
Hardware and Software. I'd also suspect modern chips may not be
optimized for a mode which the average machine runs ca. 0.2 sec/boot
(before switching to some super-important branding screen). It's not
considered worth the extra effort to make it work well, instead of just
work.

So as long as you don't nail it to a particular config, there's 1000s of
reasons.