State of Zaphod dual screen support

David Mohr damailings at mcbf.net
Tue Mar 2 22:24:51 PST 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 6:07 PM, David Mohr <damailings at mcbf.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 12:41:02AM -0700, David Mohr wrote:

>>> Ok. Unfortunately I have not been able to find reliable conditions for
>>> triggering the bug. I'll try again and see what I can find.
>>
>> i found using a wacom tablet with a xinerama setup and then switch back and
>> forth triggers it eventually. the problem is the "eventually" bit...
>
> Yes, it's similar for me. One of the tools I use switches the mouse
> over when it hits the edge of the screen, so it's warping the pointer
> relatively often. I can't reproduce the problem reliably, but if I
> keep going back and forth it doesn't take very long to trigger it.
>
>>> Is there any way to get good information out of the running X instance
>>> once the bug has been triggered? I can only think of sending a signal
>>> to get a core dump, but then I'm not sure how much useful information
>>> that would contain.
>>
>> once it happens, gdb in and single-stepping may be the only approach. a
>> backtrace would be great already, just to make sure if you're seeing the
>> same problem as I am.
>
> Ugh. Here the trouble begins. When I attach to the process with gdb,
> it tells me it's in nvidia_drv.so, which of course doesn't have
> debugging symbols. So I can't get a useful backtrace or start to
> single step.

I tried it a second time and again was only able to break in
nvidia_drv.so. I'm wondering if I installed all the right debugging
packages. I use debian, so I installed xserver-xorg-core-dbg. Is that
sufficient?

I don't have much experience with how gdb behaves if there are no
debugging symbols available in _part_ of the program. Could it be that
I can inspect the X server by setting a breakpoint somewhere and then
continuing?
If so, what would be a good place to put a breakpoint (I have no clue
about X internals)?

Thanks,
~David