Boot resolution

Michael auslands-kv at gmx.de
Wed Mar 3 00:04:23 PST 2010

Hello

With all that kernel mode setting stuff I have no idea any longer where to
pose my question. So I try here, knowing that it is most probably the wrong
mailing list.

I have an atom system here with a intel 945 graphics chip. I use kernel
2.6.33 on a debian based linux system.

I want to control the boot resolution of the system to always have it
800x600. In earlier times that was easily done using the kernel option
"vga=789". Today, I cannot get it to work. The system always switches to the
highest available resolution (1600x900) directly after grub.

I tried the following kernel options without success, all of them leading to
a resolution of 1600x900:

- vga=789
- vga=0 video=intelfb:800x600
- vga=0 video=inteldrmfb:modeset=1:800x600
- vga=0 video=inteldrmfb:modeset=0:800x600
- vga=0 i915.modeset=0
- vga=789 i915.modeset=0
- vga=789 i915.modeset=1

Can anybody hint me what I need to do?