Please help with Xorg

John Tapsell johnflux at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 18:50:28 PDT 2010

On 15 March 2010 20:03, Simone Azzalin <azzalin.simone at gmail.com> wrote:

>    >Just to eliminate the stupid questions first..
>>
>> >Is your screen TFT, and if so, what is its native resolution? :)
>
>  Resolutions always worked fine with many distros, but in the last times it
> happens with   recents distros for example..
> The first resolution proposed is 1200 x 920 (if I remember well because I'm
> on another pc right now )

Okay so that's a ratio of 1200/920 = 5/4 = 1.25
But you're trying to use a resolution of 1024/768 = 4/3 = 1.33

So it's no wonder you're getting black bars.  The picture just doesn't
fit on the screen.

If it used to 'work', probably you just set some setting on the
monitor to stretch the screen to fit, instead of adding black bars.

So, either run in 1200/920 or play about with the monitor settings to
find a way to make it stretch instead of adding black bars.

I think this has nothing to do with linux or xorg.