DISPLAY/ SCREEN in Xserver and X11 forwarding

Wed Mar 17 07:43:22 PDT 2010

Piyush Mundra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using a standard Fedora-10 installation.
>
> Please explain me what is the difference between DISPLAY and SCREEN as in
> localhost:0.0

See the "DISPLAY NAMES" section of the X man page:
	http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.5/doc/man/man7/X.7.html#sect4

> 1) How can multiple SCREENS be created for a single DISPLAY ?

Configure a system with multiple graphics devices or a multi-head graphics
device, and configure them as separate screens, not using Xinerama, MergedFB,
TwinView or other options to merge multiple screens into one.

> 2) How can multiple DISPLAYS be created using any command line application ?

Run multiple X servers on different devices (physical or virtual).

> 3) Also how does Local Xserver and Remote Xserver come into picture
> while making use of X11 forwarding ?
>
> I have a Remote FC10 machine. I am using my local FC10 machine to ssh -X
> to the Remote machine. Please tell me how does the two Xserver interacts
> in this case.

They don't.  Only one X server is used, the one on your local FC10 machine.
X clients (such as xterm, firefox, etc.) on the remote FC10 machine connect
to the sshd on the remote FC10 machine, using it as a proxy to reach the X
server on your local FC10 machine.   The remote FC10 machine does not need
to run an X server at all.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com