xvinfo results in "no adapters present" msg

George R Goffe grgoffe at yahoo.com
Sat May 1 21:14:49 PDT 2010

Howdy,

I'm having trouble with my laptop. The mplayer folks say it's because Xv is not configured properly.

Here's the xvinfo output:

xvinfo
X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
 no adaptors present (note the spelling error?)

I'm using an external monitor but I think it's connected to the system board.  lspci | grep vga gives:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M56GL [Mobility FireGL V5250]

Does anyone know what's going on and what I need to do to resolve this problem please?

Regards,

George...

"It's not what you know that hurts you, It's what you know that ain't so." Wil Rogers