Ati Radeon 7200 3D feature is buggy (kernel 2.6.34-rc6, ATI driver 6.13) (more accuracy)

Uwe Bugla uwe.bugla at gmx.de
Mon May 3 00:07:22 PDT 2010

Hi,

I am wondering whether the driver errors that I described are kernel
issues or father more application issues.

To shed a little light on that I found out the following:

1. The shadowed windows without text (3D effect if metacity is composite
manager) are something specific to iceweasel 3.5.9. The problem does not
appear using epiphany 2.30.

2. The crash behaviour using Compiz Fusion is related to Compiz Fusion
(0.8.4-3+b1). Relinquishing Compiz "solves" the problem.

So on the one hand the ATI Radeon driver 6.13 offers 3D capabilities.
But on the other hand it should not happen that an application can smash
the kernel (like Compiz does in our example).
The driver should not cause such a silly behaviour as shown in 1.

Solution??

Cheers

Uwe