Issues with video in Kubuntu 10.04

pkaplan1 pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Sat May 8 08:28:01 PDT 2010

The newest version of K/Ubuntu seems to be running the v6.13 of the ati
display driver under xorg 7.5.

I've observed the following two behaviors (never a problem on older versions
of K/Ubuntu) and my initial searches suggest that both result from this
version of the driver.  Can anyone confirm?  Are there any fixes?

1.  Whenever I start an X session or switch from one virtual terminal to
another on a machine with an ATI M7500 card, the screen is automatically
dimmed to about 50% brightness (roughly the same as the window manager sets in
powersaving mode).  I can increase the brightness using keyboard controls, but
the window manager settings indicate that the screen is at maximum brightness.
The behavior occurs with both KDE and LXDE

2.  If I have composting enabled in KDE and try to start a second X session on
a different virtual terminal, the 2nd iteration of X hangs and I haven't yet
found any error logs that are helpful.  Disabling composting fixes this.

Paul