/urs/bin/X: undefined symbol: pixman_disable_out_of_bounds_workaround

tommaso di bucchianico tommaso_db at yahoo.it
Mon May 10 06:15:35 PDT 2010

Hallo List,

since november 2009 I can not use ubuntu and debian testing (stable
[lenny] is ok)  on my Laptop DELL Inspiron 1520 because of problems
related to xorg and pixman.
Actually my xserver does not start on ubuntu 10.04 because of

"/usr/bin/X: symbol lookup error: /urs/binX: undefined symbol:
pixman_disable_out_of_bounds_workaround"

but in the past I got also other error messages, i.e.:

"/usr/bin/X symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/X: undefined symbol:
pixman_tramsform_init_identity"

I asked for help on the debian and ubuntu forums without results
(plese see my treadth http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?
f=5&t=48648&start=0 and http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?
t=1478405). It seems that this problem occour only on my laptop??

The strange is, that the system works well for a time (hours or days
or weeks) then suddenly xserver does not start anymore without
evident reason.
My graphic card is a NVIDIA GeForce 8400.

Can you help me?

thanks,
Tommaso