Opening a window without activating it

Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen eirik at opera.com
Mon May 17 23:14:19 PDT 2010

"Andreas Falkenhahn" <andreas at airsoftsoftwair.de> writes:

>> Am Sunday 16 May 2010 schrieb Andreas Falkenhahn:
>>
>>> I already checked out EWMH but I don't see any properties in that
>>> specification which could do what I want.
>> read here:
>> http://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/ICC/client-to-window-manager/wm-hints.html
>>
>> set the InputHint to False, then map, then maybe set it to True (if you
>> want
>> to receive input focus by e.g. mouseclicks)
>
> Thanks, that does exactly what I want.

That shouldn't be necessary, though.  The only applications I know that
takes focus when they start up are java applications.  awt does an
explicit XSetInputFocus() to itself when it creates a new window.

So I think it is your window manager that is set up to "automatically
give focus to new windows" (or as enlightenment 0.16 calls it: "All new
windows first get the focus")

eirik