Greedy XGrabKeyboard

belnac belnac1 at googlemail.com
Wed May 19 05:41:46 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-19 at 21:29 +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> Google for the RECORD extension, the syndaemon program (part of the
> synaptics driver) has some example code to do this.

Thanks for your reply Peter.

I was more looking for an event driven solution rather than one that
involves polling the keyboard state for depressed keys every x
milliseconds as the syndaemon seems to do.

One solution I found consists of listening to KeyPress events on every
single window by issuing XSelectInput (and passing KeyPressMask) on
every single window instance (in a parent->children recursive way.) I
got it to work and am now struggling to create yet another sniffer that
listens to window creation events so keyboard input can be listened to
as new windows are created dynamically.

Perhaps my design is just wrong?

Thanks again for your input.

Miguel