Configuring xrandr: too small screen size?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun May 23 09:18:09 PDT 2010

On 23 May 2010 19:07, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:
> The ums (userspace modesetting) radeon driver cannot resize the front
> buffer after X has started.  You need to either pre-allocate a larger
> front buffer using a Virtual directive in your xorg.conf, or enable
> kms (kernel modesetting).  The kms-enabled radeon driver supports
> buffer resizing.

Thanks, Alex. The kms-enabled radeon driver is only available in the
~.34 kernels, no?

Assuming that I were to pre-allocate a larger front buffer using a
Virtual directive in xorg.conf, how would I do that? Would this be
enough?:
   Section "Screen"
       Identifier	"Default Screen"
       Monitor		"Generic Monitor"
       DefaultDepth	24

       SubSection "Display"
           Depth		24
           Modes		"1680x1050" "3360x1050" "1680x2100"
           Virtual              3360 2100
       EndSubSection
   EndSection

The newer *buntus don't even have an xorg.conf file, and there are
some difficulties in getting it to read on that hte user puts in
there. I am basing my question on the content of this page:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_RandR_1.2

Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen