The RandR-"unable to set rotation" issue in AMD Geode LX platform

Cui, Hunk Hunk.Cui at amd.com
Wed May 26 20:40:23 PDT 2010

Hi, all,
As said on Ubuntu BTS, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-geode/+bug/377929
About “unable to set rotation on AMD Geode LX800”, I used Ubuntu 9.10 which comes with generic kernel 2.6.31-17 and Xserver 1.6.4, geode-driver 2.11.6, I also able to rotate the screen just fine with the default geode driver that comes with this distribution using Xrandr. Rotation is working just fine with 'xrandr'. I used command such as:
> xrandr -o left
> xrandr -o right
> xrandr -o inverted
> xrandr -o normal
I gave a try with 1.7.1 server on rotation, Geode driver 2.11.7, In our platform, the <OUTPUT> name is "default",
(BTW: In general use $ xrandr -q to discover the appropriate output names for your configuration, the reference link: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_RandR_1.2)
When I tried: "xrandr --output default --rotate left". The screen turn to black.
Then tried: "xrandr --output default --rotate normal --auto". The screen return to normal.
Because from 1.6.4 server to 1.7.1 server, the part of RandR have been updated and changed from source code.
Who know the change about the part of RandR in Xserver 1.7.1?
Thanks,
Hunk Cui